Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McNish Gets Boost In FIA Championship
-Scotsman switches to Audi's pioneering hybrid diesel technology for last three races

Allan McNish has been given a boost by Audi Sport in his quest to win the FIA World Endurance Championship.

The Dumfries-born Scotsman will now revert to the hybrid diesel Audi R18 e-tron quattro for the final three races including the Bahrain Six Hours on Saturday (29 Sep).

Audi Sport had planned that McNish and co-driver Tom Kristensen would race the R18 ultra in the five races after Le Mans but the German team is giving Allan and Tom an Audi R18 e-tron quattro the same as their "factory" Audi team-mates for the final three races.

"Tom and I are switching back to the e-tron quattro," confirmed McNish. "Due to its advantage especially in traffic, it puts us on an equal footing with André, Benoît and Marcel in terms of the title race run in which confirms how sporting and even-handed the Audi Sport team operates."

McNish earned the e-tron quattro a debut pole-position at Spa four months ago and then finished second in the Le Mans 24 Hours - a race in June won by the "sister" hybrid diesel Audi of Marcel Fässler (CH)/André Lotterer (D)/Benoît Tréluyer (F) which also won at Silverstone.

McNish and Kristensen trail Fässler/Lotterer/Tréluyer by 7.5pts but with a maximum 78pts up for grabs, the Driver's title race remains completely open.

The Bahrain Six Hours will see less than two hours of "daylight" racing before dusk sets in at the 3.91-mile Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir.

Allan added: "Compared to Le Mans, Silverstone and Interlagos, Bahrain is a completely different environment. The Middle Eastern climate at this time of the year is incredibly hot, in the region of 35-40°C.

"The race starts at 4pm local time and so unusually for our championship, there will only be around 90mins of daylight racing."

The Audi R18 e-tron quattro is powered by a conventional V6 turbocharged diesel engine delivering around 510hp through the rear wheels but benefits briefly from an extra near 200hp, transmitted only through its front axle above 75mph at specific "zones" using power "harvested" under braking.

Practice begins on Thursday (1400-1530 & 1830-2000*) with qualifying for the anticipated near 30-car entry on Friday (1430-1450*). The race begins at 1400* on Saturday (29 Sep).

"The six hour race will be my first in Bahrain although I attended the first two F1 Grands Prix and was there six weeks ago for a WEC Press Conference," concluded McNish. "The Bahrainis do a tremendous job, the circuit facilities are absolutely top notch - everything is maintained to the highest level. They are putting a lot of effort in and I'm sure the race will be a success - and hopefully for Tom and I too!"

* All times are UK

2012 FIA World Endurance Championship (after 5 rounds)

Driver's: 1st Marcel Fässler (CH)/André Lotterer (D)/Benoît Tréluyer (F), 114.5pts. 2nd Allan McNish (GB)/Tom Kristensen (DEN), 107pts. LMP1 Manufacturers': 1st Audi*, 147pts. 2nd Toyota, 43pts (*Audi already Champions).